Translate

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

One Solitary Eclectic Pagan View of Thanksgiving

I do not celebrate Thanksgiving.  I haven't for a very long time - come to think of it, not since my Mother tried to kill the entire family one year.  But that's another story.

Being part Cherokee, I concluded that Thanksgiving was celebrating that part of my ancestors simply had not gotten around to killing the other part of them - yet.  The entire story the holiday is celebrated on is a pretty little myth.

But my actual major problem with the holiday is this.  Americans think it is okay to only give thanks once a year.  If that - because if you are honest it is about pigging out, griping and fighting with the family all day, setting out on the annual greed fest shopping, and watching the game.  

As a Pagan, I have three major harvest holidays, beginning with Mabon, then Lughnasadh, and last but hardly least Samhain.  One way or another, almost all of the quarter and cross-quarter Pagan holidays are about giving thanks.  Personally, I begin each day with meditation and giving thanks for my blessings.  I simply can't see giving thanks one time a year, and acting like it is a big thing and you are so special because you took ONE DAY to say thank you for all your blessings (if you make time for that - mostly you are shoveling food in your face, shopping, watching TV).  

What brought this on was thinking about what I'd like to tell you about while I'm plugging along at Nanowrimo.  Oh, I do want to sort of pat myself on the back. I'm ahead on my word count!  I think this is the first year EVER I've been ahead pretty much all month.  I think I'm writing total drivel - but I'm writing it!  Much of it is thanks to #NaNoWordSprints and my dear friend Kimonomania who has kept me motivated and entertained, too!

Ahem, anyhow I was thinking that I would start plugging my Winter Solstice cards, which brought on the whole thing about how I, myself, hate it when the stores put out Christmas trees and the Halloween decor at the same time.  About ten minutes after they put away the Back to School stuff.  But, you see, Winter Solstice IS my next holiday.  So here is one of my personal favorites of my winter solstice greeting cards.
Father Christmas or The Holly King Greeting Card
Father Christmas or The Holly King Greeting Card by foovay
Find other Chfistmas Cards at zazzle.com

As usual, while I had no or little Internet access, Zazzle changed things completely and now I can't even find my store or products *eye roll* but then I need to get in there and reorganize anyway.  Meanwhile - I'll share some direct links here at the blog.

And I have a question for you - does anyone actually mail greeting cards out any more?  I know, I think, most of us hand out a few here and there to friends, family, co-workers and so on but even I cannot remember the last time I sat down with an address book and a box of cards - and that used to be a big thing with me.  I sell a few at Zazzle - so I guess people still send a few?  Would my time be better spent designing another type of product? 

Hmmm
Blessedbe

Summer Foovay

No comments:

Post a Comment